This weekend I got FreeBSD on my Chromebook Snow in a usable state. Getting wifi going was a bit of a bother. I have an Edimax Wifi Adapter, but the default kernel config builds out support for wifi and the urtwn device driver.
The Beaglebone Black page on the FreeBSD wiki has a kernel config that includes the drivers I need. I took the wifi config and added them to a CHROMEBOOK-WIFI config so I could build a kernel for the Chromebook with support.
#USB WiFi # Wireless NIC cards device wlan # 802.11 support options IEEE80211_DEBUG device wlan_wep # 802.11 WEP support device wlan_ccmp # 802.11 CCMP support device wlan_tkip # 802.11 TKIP support device wlan_xauth device firmware # Required to load firmware device urtwnfw # Firmware for RTL driver below device urtwn # Realtek RTL8188CU/RTL8192CU
After building the new kernel and moving it over to the USB stick I use for the Chromebook I needed tell FreeBSD to accept the license terms for the wifi firmware.
Add to loader.conf legal.realtek.license_ack=1
After that it was pretty norm wifi setup.
# ifconfig wlan0 create wlandev urtwn0 # wpa_supplicant -i wlan0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -B # dhclient wlan0